Justice Markandey Katju claims: Why did Justice Sikri with PM Modi against in Alok Verma case?
In the Alok Verma case, the Supreme Court’s former Judge Justice Katju has told those reasons, due to which Justice Sikri had to support PM Modi’s decision after the opposition of Mallikarjun Kharge.
new Delhi: Under the chairmanship of PM Modi, Seleksen Committee of the three members , after the removal of Alok Verma as the CBI Director with a 2-1 decision, thematter is going deeper. Former Judge Justice Markandey Katju of the Supreme Court has told the reasons for which Justice Sikri had to support PM Modi’s decision after the opposition of Mallikarjun Kharge. In the selection committee that removed Alok Verma, Justice AK Sikri was included in the appointment of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and senior Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge and as a representative of the CJI. Please tell that Alok Verma resigned from his job and the state is now hot on this issue.
On this case, Justice Katju wrote a Facebook post on January 10 – ‘Alok Verma was given the Prime Minister, Mallikarjun Kharge (representing the opposition) and Justice AK Khan. Sikri (CJI Representative) has been removed from the rank of CBI Director by a committee. The PM and Justice Sikri decided to remove him, while Kharge opposed it. In this connection, I received several telephone calls from relatives and friends for inquiring about Justice Sikri, because obviously it was his opinion which was crucial, and that is what I told him. ‘
“I know Justice Sikri very well because I was his Chief Justice in the Delhi High Court and I can guarantee his integrity. He would have not decided till then, till he got some strong facts in the record against Alok Verma. I do not know what that fact is. But I know Justice Sikri, and personally I can say that he can not be influenced by anyone. Whatever is being said about them is wrong and inappropriate. ‘
After the two-one verdict of Alok Verma, Justice Katju posted another Facebook post on behalf of Justice Sikri and disclosed the reasons for Alok Verma being removed. Former Supreme Court Justice Markandey Katju has written in the post that when the selection committee removed Alok Verma, I had a Facebook post. A lot of people called me and questioned why Alok Verma was not given a chance to keep his cleanliness. For this reason I talked to Justice Sikri on the phone. In this conversation, the reason behind the verdict in the Alok Verma case came out, with the permission of Justice Sikri, I am posting on Facebook.
Justice Markandey Katju, former Supreme Court judge, believes that Justice Sikri had several reasons to agree to the decision of PM Modi.
What Justice Sikri said is:
- The CVC found that the charges against Alok Verma were serious and in the initial investigation, the CVC also got some evidence and conclusions.
- The CVC had given the opportunity to hear Alok Verma in his report, which was the first to come to the conclusion.
- On the basis of these evidence and findings, Justice Sikri believed that till the inquiry was completed and till the decision was taken that Alok Verma was guilty or innocent, he should not remain in the position of CBI Chief till then. But during this time, they should be transferred to any other post equal to their rank.
- Alok Verma has not been sacked, as some people believe. They have not been suspended. Alok Verma has been transferred to his rank and equivalent salary.
- Now, where Alok Verma’s stand is not to be heard, it is also a definite principle that it is not removed from the post without any hearing, but any officer can be suspended. During the suspension the investigation continues, which is a normal process.
- In Verma’s case, neither he was suspended nor removed, he has been transferred only to the second post of the CBI Director.